Writing Coaching Program: The Messy Middle
It seemed so easy at the start…
You’ve been travelling into this project for a long time, but your legs are getting sore. Some days you’re not sure if you’ll ever make it to the far side. You had no idea this would take so long, or get so muddled. We know the feeling. We’ve been there. We can help.
Together with your coach, you’ll approach the idea of “discipline” with open-hearted curiosity to figure out what works for you. You’ll dig into your deep-down beliefs about yourself as a writer, lifting out your resistances and examining them with compassionate and constructive eyes.
You’ll also dive deeply into the writing itself — its themes, its secrets and its flow. Your coach will come prepared to talk through plot theory, character development, point of view, knowing your reader, and anything else you need.
And of course — you’ll write! To keep you going, you’ll have bi-weekly deadlines, monthly studio time and use of our accountability software to keep your words flowing.
Too many writing projects get stalled when they hit the chaos of the middle, but we believe that this stage is one of the most exciting, creative and full of potential. If you can stay close to the current of your work through those moments, everything gets easier. This program will give you the tools and guidance to embrace that vitality and hang on until the end is in sight.
* You’re frustrated by the intense labour of the messy, mysterious middle of a writing project.
* You’re really, really ready to see this thing through.
* You crave a creative ally who can bring a fresh, new perspective on their work.
* You know there are no magic wands, and you’re ready to let your coach walk beside you through the hard parts so that you can emerge on the other side.
* You have time to commit to writing. (Yes, there will be homework! We’ll make it work with your schedule, but there needs to be some room for it.)
This program won’t be ideal if:
* You haven’t started your project yet. Check out New Sprouts to get yourself out of the gates.
* You’re finished and looking for a professional editor for a final look. Check out our Firefly Editing Services for that.
* Your only goal is to get this published. We believe that while publishing can be a rewarding phase of the creative process, our job is to help you create your most powerful work in the moment, regardless of what comes later.
* You’d rather walk away than work on this more.
The nuts and bolts of it — you will receive:
* Bi-weekly 60-minute meetings with your writing coach via phone, Skype, or in person in Toronto.
* Bi-weekly deadlines of up to 2,500 words of work for your coach to read and discuss with you.
* A vault of recorded audio warm-ups to help you get unstuck anytime.
* A monthly date at the studio for quiet writing time with other coaching clients, or if you’re not in TO, a little kit to create quiet studio time anywhere. (Dates for 2018: Jan 28, Feb 25, March 25, April 29, May 27, June 24, July 29, Aug 26, Sep 30, Oct 28, Nov 25, Dec 16)
* Writerly gifts in the (real) mail to support your progress.
* Use of our accountability software to joyfully track your progress.
There’s a $250 fee to get started, then you’ll be charged $225 every two weeks. There’s a minimum commitment of three months, after that you can switch to another package or finish anytime. Click here to see our full financial policies.
Want to know more about what coaching is like?
If you haven’t seen it yet, watch our 3-minute video on what coaching can provide. If you still have questions, our coaching FAQ is here or you can always drop the wonderful Bree a line, she is a fountain of answers.
You’ll work with one of Firefly’s six powerful writing coaches — click here to get to know them. After you fill out your intake questionnaire, we’ll determine which one will be the best match for you. If you already have a hunch who you want to work with, you can request them on the form.