Writing Coaching Program: Home Stretch, Baby!
Seriously now, let’s finish this thing.
It’s time to get this thing finished. Right? Fini, terminado, Good Bye, don’t cry, I’m off to the next writing adventure. But you also want to do it well. You’ve worked so hard, this isn’t the time to rush.
Anne Lamott says that finishing a manuscript is like putting an octopus to bed. Just when you think it’s down, another tentacle pops up. This stage of creation requires patience, fortitude and humour, yet it comes when we’re at our most worn out. That’s why we’re here.
For this program we’ve pulled out all the bells and whistles — bi-weekly conversations, video writing warmups, accountability software, monthly studio time and weekly email check-ins from your coach. You’ll also get a guaranteed spot in our next open mic night if you’re in (or can possibly get to) Toronto AND $200 off of our editing services within a year.
Together with your coach, you’ll chart your path from where you stand now to the glorious end of this project, and then you’ll break it down into manageable pieces. You’ll look at what’s going well, as well as what needs more writing and attention, and then you’ll give it that attention. Coaching conversations will focus on whatever you need to get this done — plot theory, creating a routine, connecting with other writers, re-energizing your practice and knowing when (and how) to stop.
Together, we’ll figure out what you need in order to put this beautiful, complicated octopus to bed, and then we’ll do it.
* You’ve made a ton of headway and are nearing the end of their project. (Check out New Sprouts or the Messy Middle if you are in the earlier stages of a project)
* You’re really, really ready to see this thing through.
* You’re craving a creative ally who can bring a fresh, new perspective on their work.
* You have time to commit to writing. (Yes, this stage, like the ones behind you, will take time.)
This program won’t be ideal if:
* You haven’t started your project yet. Check out New Sprouts to get yourself out of the gates.
* You’re finished and looking for a professional editor for a final look. Check out our Firefly Editing Services for that.
* You’re looking for a magic wand to make it all effortless, not a committed and sensitive ally to stay with you through the hard parts.
* Your only goal is to get this published. We believe that while publishing can be a rewarding phase of the creative process, our job is to help you create your most powerful work in the moment, regardless of what comes later.
* You’d rather walk away than work on this more.
The nuts and bolts of it — you will receive:
* Bi-weekly 60-minute meetings with your writing coach via phone, Skype, or in person in Toronto.
* Bi-weekly deadlines of up to 3,000 words of work for your coach to read and discuss with you.
* A vault of recorded audio warm-ups to help you get unstuck anytime.
* A monthly date at the studio for quiet writing time with other coaching clients, ofrif you’re not in TO, a little kit to create quiet studio time anywhere. (Dates for 2018: Jan 28, Feb 25, March 25, April 29, May 27, June 24, July 29, Aug 26, Sep 30, Oct 28, Nov 25, Dec 16)
* Writerly gifts in the (real) mail to support your progress.
* Use of our accountability software to track your progress through your work.
* $200 off Firefly Editing Services anytime within a year of being engaged with this program.
There’s a $250 fee to get started, then you’ll be charged $250 every two weeks. There’s a minimum commitment of three months, after that you can switch to another package or finish anytime. Click here to see our full financial policies.
Want to know more about what coaching is like?
If you haven’t seen it yet, watch our 3-minute video on what coaching can provide. If you still have questions, our coaching FAQ is here or you can always drop the wonderful Bree a line, she is a fountain of answers.
You’ll work with one of Firefly’s six powerful writing coaches — click here to get to know them. After you fill out your intake questionnaire, we’ll determine which one will be the best match for you. If you already have a hunch who you want to work with, you can request them on the form.