Open Mic Night
It’s here! It’s here!
It’s Firefly’s first open mic night! This is a warm and inspiring place for our community, friends, and neighbours on the Danforth to come together to connect, drink tea, and celebrate each other’s writing voices.
Bring something under seven minutes in any genre to read or just bring your open heart and clapping hands, and get ready for a night that could take us anywhere. We’ll be at the door with a clip board to sign up the first eight readers who arrive with something to read and then at 7:30, our show will begin! MC’s Ailsa and Jenna will walk us through an evening of stories, poems, rants, lists and anything else that ends up on the list. We’ll take a break part-way through and wrap up around 9:30.
Since it’s our first open mic night, we’re especially encouraging readers who have never performed their work! We’re nervous too. Come share some anxiety and take a chance! Awkwardness is beautiful. If you’re a veteran of the stage, you are also very welcome.
This evening will be perfect for you if:
- You’re delighted (and slightly terrified by) the idea of reading your work in front of a crowd. (But no need! You can also come to cheer and listen.)
- You want to slide out of your day-to-day to connect with other people who love words.
- You love the idea of supporting new voices, especially the shaky, tentative ones.
- You’re curious about our studio and want to spend some quality time inside it’s walls connecting with neighbours and Fireflies.
- You don’t need a lot of leg room to have a great time.
This won’t be a great night for you if:
- You want to share a piece that’s longer than seven minutes.
- You’ll be heartbroken if your name isn’t on the list. (We have limited spots, come early if you know you want to get up there!)
- You’re looking for feedback on your work. (Check out our workshops or our coaching packages for that.)
- You don’t identify with the heading: “Nicest people in Toronto.”
- You need to have a gin and tonic in your hand to have fun.
- You don’t have a sitter. (Since we can’t control the content being shared, we don’t recommend it for kids.)
All the details:
November 6th, doors at 7, reading at 7:30. No need to register or RSVP, just come on down!
We’ll be at our beautiful studio, 1898 Danforth Ave, unit 2. It’s fully wheelchair accessible and a short stroll from the Woodbine subway station.
Bring a mug from home to drink some herbal tea made by our friend and neighbour Heather at Acorn Holistic.
We’ll be collecting $10 at the door will support our scholarship fund. If that’s too steep for you, let us know and we’ll gladly make an exception. If you can kick in a little more, our scholarship-ees will thank you!
We don’t think it will fill, but it’s our first time, so we don’t know much! Come early to grab a seat or beanbag. If we do overfill, we’ll need to close the doors.